Dear heavens. I can barely remember a summer like this one, when we have gotten so much good news, not just in general but more so for those on the margins. So let’s make a list of the Outrageously Cool things that have been happening lately in the news and the world.
- The American women’s soccer team decidedly TROUNCED its Japanese counterpart.
- “Every single player on the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team is getting her own Sports Illustrated cover. In celebration of the team’s World Cup win, the magazine is publishing 25 different covers this week: one for each player, one for coach Jill Ellis, and one small group shot” (Sports Illustrated). So, basically, SI is finally taking a moment out of its decidedly masculinist, patriarchal agenda to pay tribute to some awesome women. Who Are Actually Wearing Clothes.
- The Supreme Court just legalized “gay marriage,” so folks can love who they want, although we are still working on that whole “not discriminating against folks thing.”
- Agent Carter has been renewed for a second season, with ten episodes.
- Serena Williams just won Wimbledon. Again. And when she got body-shamed by a hater, J.K. Rowlings supported her on Twitter.
- The last of Boston’s snow finally melted. Finally.